Monday, June 18, 2012

What Do You Crave?

Personally, I always crave chocolate. 
Dark chocolate especially, with sea salt in it!!! 
(In fact, I am eating it right now as I write this post!)



I also am constantly craving ice cream or frozen yogurt,  and oddly, I crave cookie dough! 



                                      

Sometimes, my cravings for these foods are so strong, 
I can barely stand it. 

But if I don't eat them for a long time, I have noticed that I almost lose the cravings all together. If I started eating an apple every time I wanted chocolate, for example, I would start craving apples eventually. I know this, because I have seen it happen in my life. 
I used to never like broccoli. I literally crave it sometimes now. 

My point IS NOT that everyone should start eating apples instead of chocolate or broccoli instead of french fries. In fact, my point has NOTHING to do with food whatsoever, really. 

It just has to do with cravings. 
Simply put, you crave what you feed yourself
Think about it. 

When you watch that first episode of Gossip Girl, let's say, you may be skeptical. But the more you watch it, the more you become hooked on the characters, the story, and the drama. 
You begin to crave watching it. 

You may HATE exercise. But once you begin to do it everyday, it becomes easier and easier, and eventually your body begins to adapt. It begins to want to exercise. To sweat and produce endorphins. If you don't believe me, try it for a few weeks. You'll see what I mean.

In the same way, if I find myself more interested in watching the latest episode of Make It or Break It, or blogging, or doing pretty much anything OTHER than reading my Bible, it is probably because I haven't really been getting in to my Bible lately. 

But I have also noticed that when I start reading the Bible, I slowly begin to crave it. I will be in the middle of a grocery store and desperately wish I had a smart phone so that I could pull up my Bible app and get some of the Word in me. 

Whether you are a Christian, or a Buddhist monk, or a Pastafarian, 
the principle can still apply to you. 

You crave what you feed yourself. 
So my question is, what do you crave? 
What do you want to crave? 

Go eat it. 


Before I leave you, I want to say that I did not come up with this concept on my own. 
The podcast I listened to with Ryan and Sadie Hall yesterday, actually, inspired all of this. 
But I have been thinking about it a lot, and I wanted to share it with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment