Sunday, September 9, 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Speaking of sweat.... 

My first cross country race of the season was on Saturday.
And we all sweat buckets, because collegiate women were scheduled right in the middle of the day. 
It was only a 4k. 
And I can't say that it was successful, to be honest. I went out fast and confident. Then exhaustion hit hard. Then I stopped racing, and I just stayed comfortable. 

I don't know why, but I ALWAYS do this. I guess I still have a lot to learn about racing. 

On paper, I did alright. I was in the top third of a very competitive race. But what bothers me was my mindset. Instead of simply running faster when I was not doing very well, I started wishing the race was over.... thinking up what I would say to people to explain why I didn't do well....
 letting myself be convince that I am not fast... 
and blaming it on all the crap that's gone on with me and running this summer. 

When I finished, I wanted nothing more than to be bummed in myself and go sulk somewhere. But here's the thing... 

WHY? What's the point? So the race didn't go how I expected. It was the first race of the season. We started practice 2 weeks late this year. My body is still going through some changes with my new resting/fueling plan. And it was a 4k (which is almost two short for me..)

Plus, I didn't have time to worry about myself. 
I have a whole team full of girls who really needed encouragement. 

So I didn't sweat it. I just took it for what it was and moved on. This was just a season opener, and in no way does it have to be any indication of what the rest of the season will look like. What matters the most is how I inspire the girls on my team to be better. And if I'm sulking I can't do that. 

Of course, I'm still competitive. I haven't really stopped thinking about this race this whole weekend. But I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff. I'm going to focus on the big picture. 



1 comment:

  1. I am the same way, always way too hard on myself. Just remember that you did your best and that is what matters, in all aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete