Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What Are You Wearing???

In today's society, one of the first things we notice about people is their appearance, and a big part of this is clothing. 

At risk of seeming shallow, I'll be the first person to admit that I'm drawn to people who are stylish. 



Once I get to know someone, of course, I am attracted to them based on their character. Someone who dresses in designer clothes is not necessarily loving and good. Likewise, a homeless man on the street who hasn't bathed in ages may be incredibly kind hearted. 

This is important : It's not that I think that stylish people have more value than anyone else in the world. In fact, I'm not always all that stylish myself, though I like clothes as much as the next girl. 

But I think that everyone would agree that the way that people present themselves is directly related to the way that people view them (at least at the beginning of the relationship). 

The Bible is filled with metaphors that address our spiritual "clothing". 

Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on every piece of God's armor..."

Romans 13:12 - "...So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living..."

Romans 13:14 - "Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ"

Isaiah 61:10 - "I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom in his wedding suit or a bride with her jewels."


This metaphor of clothing makes a lot of sense. As a Christian, it is my responsibility to be clothed with light. With the presence of God. It doesn't matter how much love there is inside of me if my spiritual clothing sends people running for the hills. 

If I have a bad attitude, for example, it's no surprise that people are not excited to talk to me about Jesus. They might not believe I'm a Christian at all. I might as well be wearing skunk-sented perfume and a clown costume. 


But if I clothe myself with His presence... people will be drawn to that. Not for my glory but for His. So he can love them. 

And I must put on spiritual armor, daily. No warrior would ever go to battle wearing a tshirt and jeans. We go to battle daily. There are constantly things being thrown at us. So we need to equip ourselves with the armor of God. We need to fill ourselves with the Word of God and pray. 

Just as I look at my closet every morning and choose what I want to wear, I must do the same thing in my spiritual life. Physical appearance is over-rated, yes, but spiritual appearance is key to living a Godly life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment