Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hello Twenty-One (Almost).


On Tuesday I turn 21 years old.


I remember when I was 6.
When 21 seemed so far away.
When anyone over 16 might as well have been 40.


(I'm in the red. No idea what I was doing)

But now, here I am. Almost 21. And the world is a much different place than it was when I was 6. It has somehow gotten smaller and bigger at the same time. Every new discovery has led to more questions. The more I have traveled and experienced, the bigger the world seems and the less experienced I feel.

I suppose that is what is beautiful about life. 
God breathed life and He is deep and infinite and mysterious.

I have learned a lot over the years.

I have learned how to have a good attitude while sitting on the bench during a basketball game. 


How to speak French and navigate the Paris Metro - and how to pick out the perfect baguette. 


I have learned that I'm most happy when the people around me are happy.

And that simple things, like coffee on a cold winter morning, are the greatest pleasures in life.


I have learned that God is the only constant in life. 
Every one of my experiences have led me to that conclusion. 

I have learned that I don't know everything about myself - But God does. 

I have learned that too much of anything is a bad thing.

I have learned to stress less and be more spontaneous.

I have learned that two hour runs are actually quite fun once you get used to them. 
And that hard work leads to accomplishments.


I have learned that listening to people's stories is the best way to... well, learn.

And I have learned that family is everything - whether that be the family you are born with or the family  you acquire.



I know I have so much more to learn. 


But the most important lesson I have learned is to trust in God.
 So here's to 21. To all of the experiences I have had and to all the experiences I will have in the future. The future is still a mystery to me... my dreams are big but vague and surrounded by a haze that hasn't quite cleared yet.... But I'm so excited about life. So excited to see what's in store. 










2 comments:

  1. i loved reading this, 21 is a milestone and i think looking back at what you have learned is a great way to embrace it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's crazy how much living there is still left to do though!

      Delete