Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Trotting and Tofurkey

Good morning world!

I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving! I know I did!!! 

At six thirty a.m., I headed downtown with my mom and little sister for a turkey trot 5k fun run. 



                                        

We ran into some friends there, too!

While I definitely understand the appeal of sleeping in and lounging around in pajamas all day on Thanksgiving, I love the atmosphere of this race. 

I did it last year, and it is so much fun that it's totally worth it!

It was freezing, and the gun went off bright and early at 8 a.m. 

There were over 3,000 people that participated, including tons of walkers and families and people in crazy costumes. 

I sort of raced it... I am really comfortable at 6:30 per mile pace (or a little faster), so I always kind of sit there. Anything faster is actually kind of difficult for me, but I can (and do all the time) run 6:30 pace for an hour or more. Maybe I just don't have that much speed?

If I really push, I can go way faster. 5:30 pace per mile. But yesterday was about having fun running. So that's what I did. 

My mom loved the experience so much, she cried. 
She said we needed to make it a new tradition every year :) 


And my little sister likes running now too. It makes me excited!


I got a free jacket from my favorite running store that had a booth there :) 
And they were handing out free coffee and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!



We were home before ten a.m.!!! When we got home, my brother and his wife were there. 
And it was a nonstop party from then on. 

The rest of the day consisted of lots of coffee (Starbucks AND Dutch Bros)



 lots of football, board games..... and of course.....

Lots of eating. 


Meet our Thanksgiving dinner. To-furkey. 

My brother and sister in law are vegetarians, so we had a to-furkey along with our turkey breast this year. I must admit, it wasn't half bad. 

At the end of the night, we decided to brave the madness for some Black Friday shopping!

It was my first time ever participating in this craziness, and it was definitely a little overwhelming. 
But totally worth the memories.


I slept in this morning, and I woke up feeling totally blessed. How could you not after such a good day?

And now I'm getting ready to start my day. I have to run at some point... my training schedule says fifty minutes, but I'm so not feeling it... but we have some family things planned tonight and I get to catch up with some friends, so I'm excited!!

Enjoy your long weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment