Friday, December 14, 2012

On Light.


John 8:12

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”

Today was a good day, for me

I got to do a running workout for the first time in two weeks, and my achilles didn't have any pain. I went to an amazing Bible study, and then to lunch at Whole Foods with friends. After that I did some Christmas shopping. 
Pretty great day, I'd say. 

But on the other side of the country, 
it was the absolute worst day for some people. 

The shooting in Connecticut that occurred this morning 
is being called the worst school tragedy in this nation's history. 

Isn't it crazy how it could simultaneously be the best day of one person's life and the worst day of someone else's? 

I cannot help but feel sick about this. The world has so much darkness, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed by it. 

But I cannot help but think about the analogy of darkness and light. The darker it gets, the brighter a candle glows. The darkness does not diminish it. It makes it grow brighter. And when light enters a room, darkness disappears. 

God's love is like that light. 

I am going to put to rest right now any argument that God caused this horrible tragedy to happen. He did not. Some confused and hurt individual made a choice that cost the lives of others. 

But God does promise that He is our rock in the midst of turmoil. Our light in the darkness. 
And His love burns deeply for every single person in that situation. 

His light burns brighter in this darkness we encountered today. And He will make everything work together for the good... 
which only He could ever possibly do. 

I watched a documentary two nights ago called "Furious Love", and it seriously changed my life. God literally loves every single person. And His love has nothing to do with our faith. And His love transforms hearts and rescues people. And it is light to this world



For some people, today is the darkest day of their lives. I pray with all my heart that God's love overwhelms them. 

Psalm 61:1-4 


O God, listen to my cry!
    Hear my prayer!
From the ends of the earth,
    I cry to you for help
    when my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety,
    for you are my safe refuge,
    a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.
Let me live forever in your sanctuary,
    safe beneath the shelter of your wings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment