Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dorm Room Cooking

Living in the dorms last year, I always found myself rolling out of bed and rushing out the door in time to make it to class in the mornings.

With limited time and not really having any way to cook, easy breakfasts like oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, and fruit became staples. Sure, there are other easy foods, like pop tarts, but while I love them, it's not exactly good for an athlete to start off every day with a glorified cookie. They are soooo good, but hardly good for you!! 

These foods got kind of boring after awhile, and since I am living in the dorms a few days a week over the summer while I work, I have been searching for some alternatives to my college life breakfast routine.

Enter the flax seed muffin!!!

It only takes one minute. 
You cook it in a mug... in the microwave!
It's healthy for you!
It tastes good! 

Perfect. 

In a mug, mix together:

1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 egg
1 tsp coconut oil (or butter)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa (or cinnamon, or both!)
Sweetener such as like honey, sugar, agave, maple syrup, vanilla.... to taste (if you are picky, add more sweetener!!)
Any add-ins you want (berries, coconut, nuts, chocolate chips...)

Microwave for one minute, smother in peanut butter, and enjoy :) 

I won't do a lot of recipe posts because I'm not really much of a cook, but I thought this may be helpful to any college students or rushed-for-time folks out there. 

Be adventurous! Try it!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment