Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dinner, Then Dessert.




When I was a little girl, I absolutely hated tomatoes. 

And when I say hated, I mean I couldn’t even swallow them without gagging. 
My sentiments toward this fruit/veggie have changed somewhat, but I remember many times that I sat at the dinner table for a long time because my mom wouldn’t let me leave without finishing my tomato-ey dinner.

Sometimes, if she were really desperate, my mom would bribe me with dessert in exchange for my tomato-eating. 
I was still reluctant, but this bribe always won me over in the end. 
Ice cream is just too good.


…………………………………………………………………

The other day, I went on an “easy” seven-mile recovery run.
It was supposed to be easy, anyway.

My legs were exhausted, the wind was brutal, my hands were numb, and I spent the whole time fantasizing about breakfast.

Some days, running just isn’t my cup of tea.
 It really is a love/hate relationship.
In fact, I was thinking about it, 
and probably only 30 percent of it is actually fun.

The community, the amazing races, the long runs on beautiful trails that remind you why you run at all…
The other 70 percent is far from glamorous. The getting up before the crack of dawn, freezing ice baths, sore joints and muscles, out of control nerves, and physical exhaustion that no one really sees.

“So”, you might ask, “If it really is THAT hard, why on earth would you keep doing it? Is it even worth it?”
I have asked myself that same question many times.

…………………………………………………………………..


But I think the ice cream is worth it!

True, running isn’t always glamorous or easy or fun. In fact, 
sometimes it’s just plain miserable.

But you have to eat your dinner before you get dessert.
You have to put in the hard workouts and the ice baths and the miles in order to get the benefit.

I feel like this can apply to other aspects of life, as well, so take it as you will.
If you are feeling overwhelmed by tomatoes, keep things in perspective. 
There’s ice cream for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment