Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dead Week, Rambles, and Races

Dead Week: 

It's dead week this week.

Contrary to popular belief, dead week does not mean that classes are cancelled (and that campus is dead) so that students can study.
It does not mean that the business of every day life has been replaced with cramming and essay writing and black coffee at three a.m.

It means that we get to study - on top of everything else.

So far, I'm surviving. And I really cannot complain. My credit load isn't terrible, and other than some nasty online homework that I left until the last minute (25 pages of essay questions), I'm really doing alright.

Rambles: 

Other than studying....
Most of my time lately has been split between student government and track (like always).

Student government has a lot of projects to wrap up before spring break, and I have tons of meetings to get through this week.

And I am starting to do a few two-a-days a week for track. Swimming some mornings, running others... and then practice and lifting in the afternoons. So far it's working brilliantly, except I am starving all the time. I am going to go broke with the amount of money I spend on groceries, but its all part of the game. There are worse problems to have, for sure, and so far my body is cooperating with my efforts. No nagging knee problems yet. I'm excited to take this relationship to a new level.

In my spare moments I have been able to have a tiny little bit of a social life, figure out financial aid stuff from the schools I am looking at transferring to next year, and turn a few pages in some incredible books I started reading awhile back. One in particular I HIGHLY recommend: A book of Protestant Saints by Ernest Gordon. It is seriously changing my life and is a good read for anyone who is interested in history and philanthropy.

Races:

I have a race on Friday. Actually, I have three. At about noon on Friday we will head west for a very small meet in a very windy town. My coach is having me run the 1500, the 3k, and the 4x4 (to work on my speed). I'm not even going to begin to talk about how I'm a 10k runner and speed is not my thing. I'm going to grin and bear it. And run fast. And I'm going to make it through all three races. And my legs are going to feel like jello.

But then it will be spring break. Almost. And that means two weeks free of races or meetings or textbooks. Bring it on.





No comments:

Post a Comment