Friday, February 15, 2013

Let's Get Real.

After you taste something as authentic as a relationship with God, 
everything else seems artificial by comparison. 

So many things have been striking me lately as completely - fake. 

Take money, for example. It is a constant source of worry. Kings have gone to war over it. People have taken their lives over it. Others claim that it is the source of their happiness. 

But money doesn't even really exist. It is fake. Just a concept, really. I go to work so that money can be directly deposited into a bank account that I immediately use to pay my bills with. I never once touched something tangible... and even if I had cash, all it would be is a piece of paper. The economy is just a system man created. And it rules our lives. 

 .....................

And what is the point of racing? Of competing? Sure, I'm a collegiate athlete. I dedicate hours of every day to training so I can be the best runner possible. And I can't believe I'm even saying this.... but it's sort of meaningless. I'm going to get on the starting line and try to beat everyone else. And if I win, I'm happy. If I lose, I'm not. It's just a game of comparison. 

Don't take me the wrong way, please. I still love to run and to race, and I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all! I just am realizing that it is less fulfilling than I initially thought. 

........................

Day to day life is so full of fake things. Like houses, for example. If you really stop and think about it, they are just boxes we use to store all of our stuff. Boxes that all look the same.
And yes - boxes that keep us warm in the winter. Yes, boxes that protect precious children and are the center of cherished memories. But mostly they are boxes that store all of our stuff. 

........................

I don't exactly know where I'm going with all of this, but these thoughts have been running through my mind like a wildfire today. There is so much more to life than the empty, artificial things that rule the everyday. I don't want to be consumed with worry or idleness or comparison or greed. 
I don't want to pursue things that are fake. 

I want to pursue the genuine Creator of the universe. 
I want to purse the way, the truth, and the life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment