Friday, November 15, 2013

Oh hey it's been awhile

Last night I went to the college-age service my church puts on for the first time in what feels like years. In actuality, it has only been a month or two, but so much has happened the past few months! Because I have been so busy with school and cross country, and because I have gotten involved with ministry and church groups at my university, I have run out of time to go to the 
Thursday night services that I love so much. 

It was great to be back, but I have to admit... I kind of felt like a stranger in my own church. No one made me feel that way. No one made me feel guilty or acted weird or anything. But a little bit of distance had obviously formed. It had been a long time since I had played "catch up" with any of my friends there, and because of that we were uninformed about each others lives. You know when you have to keep saying (over and over again) "hey, it's been a long time!" and "yeah I have just been swamped"... As true as they may be, I feel like I wear them out sometimes. 

I spoke with my sister about this, and she said that this is why many people end up leaving churches. They miss one too many services 
and feel weird about going back. They feel like a distance has formed and they don't know how to face it. 

Sometimes blogging is like church. 
What I mean is, if you don't blog consistently, 
you feel like you have created a little bit of a distance with your readers. 
After a few weeks without blogging, 
the next blog post becomes intimidating. Do you catch everyone up on your life (with the longest post ever)
 in order to make what you are saying now relevant? 
Do you just post what you want, when you want, without explanation? 
Do you even try to keep blogging,
 or is there really no point after it has been so long? 

Well, I certainly don't think people should stop going to a 
church just because it has been a few (or many) services that they have missed. 
This is a poor analogy, of course, 
but I wanted to explain my sentiments toward blogging lately. 

I miss it. 

Sometimes, during my day, I have these thoughts that I feel I just need to share with the world. But I get too busy. I have a million papers to write and practice and church and I end up neglecting my blog. Then, three weeks later, I feel like I don't even know where to start. 

So I decided I'm not going to worry about that. I'm just going to keep the posts coming. I don't even think I'm going to put much effort into making them perfect or typo-free. I'm just going to express my thoughts and journal and every once-in-awhile produce something meaningful. 

Hopefully, anyway. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment