Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The End of a Season


And so my freshman year of collegiate running has officially come to an end.

We just finished up NWAACCS. In fact, I’m on the bus home now.
 Everyone is sleeping! It’s been an exhausting couple of days!

The 10k yesterday went super well! I love that race. And it was only my second time running it, so I still have no idea what I’m doing. But I walked away with third place, an all American title, and a trophy, so I’m content!

Today’s 5k was a little bit of a different story, and I wish I could have finished off the season with a better race. I didn’t do nearly as well as I hoped, but I still managed to get a point for my team.

As I was cooling down with my teammate (after the tears had passed), we started talking about all we learned this season.

This track season has been a somewhat rocky experience… Injury took me out for half of it, and the rest of the time I was trying to figure out where I fit into this sport.

But in perspective, I have done so well. I have given everything to this sport.
I’ve learned how to push myself to the limit everyday in practice.
I’ve learned how to take care of my body: getting enough sleep, food, and mental rest to 
stay healthy and sane.
I’ve learned how to deal gracefully with both wins and losses.
I’ve learned how to face injury and uncertainty bravely.
I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn. And that I still have so much more I can give. I haven’t nearly reached my limit.

So I’m excited to see what next year will bring. To come back stronger, more confident, and more experienced.
But I’m also excited to do nothing for the next three weeks but eat ice cream. And have fun. And let my body (which has been steadily falling apart for the last two months) heal.

I’m taking this whole season, this whole year, in perspective. And it has been a successful year. And I’m so thankful that I have been able to run at this level. God has blessed me so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment